Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Berlin - 19 years later

It hit me as I was walking to dinner that I was on ground I could not have set foot on less than 20 years ago. I am in Berlin and staying on the Eastern side of the city. Major events have occured in several of the locations I have already been on this trip and some of them within my lifetime. There is a disctinct difference about being in Berlin. The first major world event I have any recollection of, albiet vague, is when the wall came down in 1989. I was six.

Tomorrow I will tour the city, see the wall, Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandeburg Gate, Reichstag, Hitlers former bunker (which I hear is now covered with a parking lot) and more.

I've taken in a lot over the last 39 days and honestly find it difficult to take in much more. I feel saturated with information, images, and experiences. Museums are nearly lost on me at this point. Fortunately, Berlin has a lot of structures to see and some museums that I will enjoy, but none of the museums are must sees for me.

I find it comforting that a city with so much terrible history has become a thriving place of commerce, government, and of course, tourism. As any big city does, I am sure it has problems, but a place like this gives me hope for other cities and countries in turmoil around the world.

3 comments:

Brian Wiele said...

Julia -- I just read your blog for the first time; found out a week ago you were on your own in Europe. Good stuff! I did that for two months at about your age, and have always treasured it. I remember the feeling of saturation -- all the churches start to look the same, but I hope you catch your second wind and finish strong. I'll be praying for you as you finish up, and keep me posted on your plans after the trip.

Brian Wiele

David said...

Your travels are stirring my memories, too. Your Grandma and Grandpa and I toured those same areas, not 20 years after the wall came down, but 6 months afterward. Large sections of the wall were still standing and we each bought pieces of the wall from entrepreneurial street vendors. Our Yugoslavian guide (Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore, either) had eyes as big as saucers and was utterly speechless as we went through Checkpoint Charlie at 25 MPH. As I walked down Unter den Linden, I thought how that would not have been possible just ONE year earlier. Great stuff, Julia.

Julia Stein said...

I remember seeing a piece of the wall at Grandma and Grandpa's house. They still sell pieces, but they are much smaller. Still a better idea to purchase that, than try and grab your own slice since the fine is €1,000 for destroying a section of the wall.