Sunday, June 8, 2008

Prague

After a grueling day in Salzburg, I woke up early ready to head off to Prague. I had heard great things about this town and feared that it may not live up to expectations. Once I arrived and threw my bag in the locker at the hostel, I headed into the main Old Town. It is AWESOME here. Prague must be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. I am sad that I have only planned three nights here because I think it could make for a great two week stay. But I really am not up for two weeks more away from home.

I walked through the Old Town square and bought a garnet for myself (my birthstone and a very popular and natural stone here.) I got the super cheap version and took pictures of the nice expensive kind. I wandered down to the river and Charles Bridge, which is the first bridge on this trip that didn't disapoint. The Ponte Vechio in Florence and the Rialto in Venice were too tourist driven. Charles Bridge has its salesmen, but it isn't overrun. I took a hike up to the top of a tower at one end of the bridge and got some great shots of this amazing place. I was taken aback by how pretty this place is.

Once I was done with the view, I wandered across the bridge and found a place to grab some food. I had a Budweiser with dinner, but it was the legit beer not the US copy. :)

By this time it was getting towards sunset and I went back up the tower to see if the sunset would provide better pics.No luck. INstead I ended up watching the German v. Poland football match in the Old Town square on a gigantic screen. There were hundreds of people there and I met a few German girls and a Swedish girl who were pretty fun to talk to. The Germans went nuts when they scored and even more nuts when the game ended 2 to 0. What will this be like in Berlin? Yikes!

This computer has sticky keys and many hostel hostelers await my departure. One more week to go and Prague has given me a better attitude and rejuvenation for this traveling gig.

5 comments:

MeganBritt said...

Hooray for a good city! I am reading about people going to Prague in the early 90s in a crazy book... does every stop in reverence when "Wind of Change" plays on the radio? Love to you!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're in a place you like better and that you're not dumping water on Europe's version of TSA anymore. Oh, I guess you didn't tell everyone about that story. My mistake.
Love,
Mom

David said...

The Charles Bridge is the first bridge that didn't disappoint?! It was nice, but I thought the Chain bridge in Budapest was really cool. I hope you didn't miss it.

Julia Stein said...

I did see the chain bridge, but had no expectations going in,so I couldn't be disappointed. :)
PS - which dalmquist is this? Dan or David?

David said...

Uncle David