Monday, June 9, 2008

Prague Day two

My theory on people who get into the hostel room late and make a bunch of noise because they are three sheets to the wind really have not recourse to complain when I wake up at seven in the morning to start my day of sight seeing. So far I have done well with that theory and keep my ear plugs snuggly in place until I wake up and set about getting ready for the day.

Today I awoke nice and early to get some pictures of Charles Bridge and some buildings before the tourists crowded around. I then made my way to Prague Castle where one of the most beautiful churches of this trip waited for me. That says a lot after visiting so many at this point of the journey. St. Vitus' Cathedral (the patron St. of Prague or Czech, I can't remember) is stunning. The stained glass windows were done by several different artists and therefore are very different from one another.

After touring the castle grounds, which were not too impressive after the cathedral, I headed to the Little Quarter of Prague and found the Church of St. Mary the Victorious. Inside there is a small statue of Jesus as a child, they call it the Infant Jesus. There are actually signs for you to donate money to Infant Jesus. There is a special prayer too written in several languages to Infant Jesus. I guess I have a hard time subscribing to a theology of Infant Jesus.

Next I went back to my hostel for a nap. Once I woke up I headed out for dinner, Beer Goulash! Yum! Then I went to the Museum of Communism, which told the story of the Czech struggle against the Soviets. It was really impressive with many artifacts set up like an actual room would have been instead of in cases like most museums. There was a video with footage of protestors on Wenceslas square and other squares around Prague. I then, naturaly, found my way to Wenceslass square and took in the fact that revolutions took place there. Violent activity and non-violent alike. What is known as the Velvet Revolution started there and memorials to two men who drew attention to the problems of communism exist on the square.

It was an exceptional day of learning for me and tomorrow looks to be the same as I will travel around the Jewish quarter of town.

For now, I'm off to do laundry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really interesting. There's actually a church in Bridgeport, CA called "The Infant of Prague Roman Catholic Church." Curious, eh?

I've been enjoying your adventures, thanks for sharing them.