Monday, June 16, 2008

Elizabeth and George

I arrived in London on Saturday morning and met up with my friend. We have had a fun weekend of catching up on the last six months since we both left Vancouver.

Yesterday we did some shopping and what looked good in £ does not look as good in $. Once thoroughly sick of shopping, we headed for Covent Garden and then on to Trafalgar Square. A great moment in the life of our family occured at Trafalgar Square many years ago. An event which has been retold many times and at least for my parents, sister and I causes great laughter.

We had just rented a car and Mom was going to drive us out to the countryside. We had to get out of London first and the difficulty of driving on the wrong side of the road got us into a bit of a pickle. Mom moved just too far to the left as we were passing a low curb and BOTH tires on the left side of the car came loose. (I don't think they actually popped. It was more like they got pushed off.) We pulled over near the Canadian embassy at Trafalgar sqaure and waited for three hours for someone to come and provide an extra tire. They only give you one spare, not TWO. Mom refused to let us take pictures. Mom wasn't with me last night so I took a few pictures of the spot we stood and waited. For good measure I randomly took a picture of a low curb as well.

Jude and I then made our way down to Buckingham Palace to see if the Queen was up for some tea. She was in, but not in the mood for commoners. We had noticed a lot of police activity while we were making our way to the palace from the square. As we walked back towards an underground stop an entire entourage of black SUVs, limos, motorcycles, and police cars zoomed by. The limos had a British flag and American flag on each. There I was on the other side of the Atlantic from the US and President Bush was driving by. He wasn't in the mood to have tea either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that neither Liz nor W would have tea with you the way you dissed your poor mother. An you expect me to pick you up at the airport tomorrow???
And hey, get it right. The curb was granite, not the nice rounded concrete stuff and the tires both went flat, they weren't pushed off the car. Yes, I's still sore about the whole dreadful experience! Never, never, never drive in London!
Love,
Mom.
Yes, I'll pick you up at the airport

Anonymous said...

OH, I saw in the paper where Elizabeth was celebrating her birthday so maybe that's why she couldn't stop for tea. Never mind that her birthday is the same day as my birthday, in April. She always celebrates it in June because the weather is better.

DC said...

Julia, hi from Houston. I just got back yesterday and checked your blog again and it looks like your trip is over as well. I really like your "color commentary," and I hope the rest of the trip went as well as the snippets you described.