Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tired and traveling

I hate to complain, but I am exhausted from traveling. My patience for crowds is running thin and I happen to be in one of the host countries for the European Cup (football\soccer). I did the Sound of Music sights and for the most part haven't done a lot else here. Last night I went to a giant beer house and garden. It can seat something like 3,000 people. You pick up your own mug and bring it to the bar. You have your choice between half liter or a full liter mug. (I took the half.)

Today I went to the roof of Hotel Stein and had a glass of wine while overlooking the river and all the sights on the other side. My plan was to then do a few more toursit things, but when I left the hotel, several shots were fired up on the hill across the river announcing the start of the European cup. So I proceeded to try and find the sights I was after, but with all the people and the areas that were closed off and dubbed ''Fan Zone'' I couldn't get anywhere. So I went back to my littel zimmer (room) and relaxed the rest of the afternoon. I think I needed an afternoon off. I had read about needing vacations from your vacation, and now I know how true that is. I can't maintain the level of interest required for sight seeing everyday, all day.

I hope the long train ride to Prague will bolster my enthusiasm. I have only heard great things about Prague and look forward to seeing the place for myself. Then I'll go to Berlin and then London. Only a week and a half left on this adventure.

No comments: