Saturday, May 31, 2008

Dancing Hungarians

Today was a busy day of seeing the sights of Budapest. I'll skip all that though and head straight for the best part of my day. I went to the city park and had a beer while watching a bunch of locals dance the night away. I ended up sitting next to a woman who grew up in Hungary and she started talking to me. Her mother soon met her and then an 80 year old woman with burgundy and white striped hair joined us. She was wearing a bright multi colored tee-shirt. This woman had a fun personality. I don't think she liked me too much at first because she wanted us only to speak Hungarian. However, she warmed up over time and eventually we went out on the dance floor together and had a great time dancing to a couple songs alongside a 60 year old man who's version of dancing resembled a chicken attempting flight. So there I was in Budapest dancing with an 80 year old lady who couldn't speak English (and in case you are wondering, I can't speak Hungarian), it was a classic moment. By the end of the night she wanted to take a picture with me and have me send it to her.

My original English speaking friend was there for all of this and she and her mother offered to show me Budapest at night. We drove past some of the sights and over the river. The mother kept pointing to one side of the river saying Pest and then pointing to the other side saying Buda. She kept clarifying that one was Pest, the other Buda until she confused herself and pointed at Buda and said Pest then pointed at Pest and said Buda. :)

I knew this before starting this journey, but it really is the people who make a place special.

1 comment:

David said...

It sounds like you made it out of Italy just in time. Turin is under water.