Wednesday, May 28, 2008

God bless the Swedes and antibiotics

I went to the doctor in Bled, Slovenia this morning and insisted on getting some antibiotics for whatever bug I caught in Italy. He asked me if antibiotics are prescribed much in the US. I had to laugh and said, "yes, all the time". I know there is controversy over prescribing antibiotics too often, but I am grateful to have some so I can get back on my feet and enjoy this trip again.

There is a Swede staying at this hostel here and he has taken on the roll of house mom, arranging travel for a couple needing to get to Austria and walking a sick American girl to the pharmacy/hospital. Stewart jokes that he is paid by the US government to look out for Americans in Slovenia, but I think he's a God-send.

An interesting observation about my trip to the hospital today. No sign in sheet, no forms, no insurance issues and I got in and out of there in less than 45 minutes. I've spent hours waiting for a doctor at hospitals in the US while holding a sprained wrist or suffering from mono. I was pleasantly surprised by the whole process.

1 comment:

David said...

Hej , hej, Sverige!