Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Flirting in Florence

I am now in Florence after a two day stint in the beautiful, but unfortunately rainy, Cinque Terre. A must see for anyone travelling in Italy, but hope for better weather than I had. The sun was nice and bright this morning as I was packing my bag to go.

I spent the time in Cinque Terre with another woman traveling alone and we had a great time telling stories, eating great food and getting to know some of the tourists and locals. Cheryl, you're a legend!

Cheryl and I were hit on by a seventy something Italian man while we ate dinner at his restaurant. He was incredibly cute. Chezere (no idea if that is correct spelling) wanted to know if we were single so that we could meet his nephew. Hilarious. Cheryl said she was taken and when I said I was single, Chezere shook my hand and grinned.

We also met Oliver the artist who grew up in Croatia but now lives in Berlin, except for the four months out of the year when he comes and paints Cinque Terre and makes enough money on the trails selling his work to live on all year. What a life!

Once I made it to Florence, I became overwhelemed with all there is to see here after lazy days in Cinque Terre. And by lazy I mean hiking in the humidity and rain. So I sat to plan tomorrow in Piazza Santa Croce. An Italian man about forty years old sat down and started speaking in Italian. I asked him in Italian if he spoke English and then he suggested French. (We all know what trouble that could cause.) He proceeded to tell me I was beautiful and pretty. Then he asked if I was on a tour of Florence.

The answer being, no, I'm traveling alone, didn't seem right. So I told him I was meeting my husband for dinner and we were travelling together. He somehow had to be somewhere really fast at that moment. He seemed to have all the time in the world before, I wonder what changed his mind.

I had an amazing dinner with two new friends from the Bay Area. Steve and his daughter Mary who is studying theology and philosophy for her undergrad. Somehow we found a lot to talk about! :)

Time for bed and a crazed day of sight seeing tomorrow.

2 comments:

MeganBritt said...

I am lusting after your traveling adventures right now...

Anonymous said...

Those Italian men have a reputation - for good reason, it seems. Good thinking mentioning your "husband". Did you also mention that he had a black belt in karate and a very bad temper?
BTW, I think that the man's name is spelled 'Cesare' in Italian.
And yes, I am very jealous of your time in Florence.
Love,
Mom