Friday, May 23, 2008

Florence - The David

There are many times when people feel let down by seeing something they have always heard about and really want to see. For instance, on the way to Florence I stopped in Pisa but was told not to bother because the leaning tower isn't that great. With very low expectations I went anyway and loved it!

Today I went to the Academia and saw Michalangelo's David. I really is as impressive in person as its reputation demands it to be. What an impressive sculpture! I don't even know that much about sculpture and I found myself spending a long time in awe of such an excellent work. It just seems so real.

I also enjoyed Fro Angelico's Frescos in St. Mark's today. The cloisters each have a fresco and some of them really evoke a call to prayer. Some felt like there was much to meditate on and others seemed as though the simplicity of the work was a call to simple meditation.

My feet are aching from walking all over Europe. I'm just under half way through this trip and I wonder how I'll do as the weeks stretch on. Traveling is great, but tiring work.

Thanks for reading! It is fun for me to share with family and friends the experiences I'm having in Europe. I love when you leave comments too... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MUST .... STOP .... DAYDREAMING.
and being jealous of your time in Florence.

Wilson Remodel 2007 said...

I'm relieved to hear that you're enjoying your experiences now... even with the sore feet! Keep up the positive attitude--it will return to you!!