Thursday, May 15, 2008

Switzerland

I arrived in Basel, Switzerland around 17:00. (I`ve gotten really good at thinking in 24 hour time.) After checking in to a hostel, I discovered the wonderful tram system of Basel. It kicks butt over any public transportation system I have seen...ever. The hostels here even give their guests a free pass for the days you are in town. How cool is that? (I`d like to insert an excalmation point here, but can`t find it on the Swiss keyboard.)

The public tram might be where my admiration of this town stops, at least for tonight.

Leering hostelers require this tale to be brief:
I did not eat most of the day and for those who have spent a whole day with me would know that I don`t do well once I am hungry. My hands start to shake and pavement begins to look like a nice snack. After checking in and sorting myself out with the layout of Basel via my map, I headed into the center of town to find some dinner. (And no, I didn`t set it on the ground and `step into` the map like joey on Friends.)

I soon discovered that Switzerland is expensive. I was warned of this, but no one said that expensive meant an Americano at Starbucks that costs me less than 2 dollars US costs 5 Swiss Francs. The dollar and the Swiss Franc are about on par too. I think I paid more money for my taco salad dinner tonight than I have spent on food in any one whole day on this trip.

I must figure out how to survive on pavement for the next couple of days.

The good news is that I am meeting up with a friend of a friend and get to go rafting in Switzerland. Wahoo (exclamation point)

Oh, just found it!

2 comments:

MeganBritt said...

Good "Friends" reference! I wondered when it would show up in your Europe travels. :) Do we get a "London, baby!" sometime, too?

I am living vicariously through your stories. They are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Love it. So jealous of the travels and the Friends reference. Nicely done. -Ker